Thursday, June 3, 2010

Tallarn Valkyrie: Come Fly the Friendly Skies

While I can't stand playing against Imperial Guard, I certainly like painting their stuff. This Valkyrie was a commission that I took locally, one of my first so far.  

This model could not have been done without my trusty Citadel Spray Gun, the preferred choice for painting vehicles. The weapons have been magnetized so the new owner can switch from Rocket Packs to Missiles if needed and the interior has been painted with optional Heavy Bolters. 

I think I follow the Blue Table Painting quality check. You pick up the model and you know its cool if it makes you make engine noises as you handle it. 

I would love to take more commissions but I am rather new at it. I'm having trouble getting the prices where I need them for my time, and then aligning the paint job to that. This was supposed to be simply Tabletop Quality but I think I went a little bit above that, in painting the pilots, adding transfers and other little details. I really liked how it came out. I was sad to see it go.


13 comments:

Pete W said...

That looks really nice OSH. It must have been fun painting something from a completely different army and visual style than what you are used to.

Paint more commission stuff now and save the money for the incoming baby ;-)

Soundwave said...

I'd definitely say you're above tabletop quality there, it's a really good job.

CylonDave said...

Great job on the Valk! It's ready to be deployed in the Taros campaign ;)

oni said...

Awesome work on the Valk, one of the best I've seen.

Tim said...

Thanks! Honestly it's mostly due to color choice. I firmly believe bright colors are always better than darker ones.

Cobalt Cannon said...

Faaaantastic! I especially like the weathering on the engine cowlings. It's so subtle that I think most people would not see it as it's so well blended into the rest of the craft's weathering, but it's so well done. Do you have any shots of the pilots? I can only get a glimpse of the one in the rear of the cockpit, from what I can see he looks great too.

The spartan use of decals and markings on the valkyrie was a good choice. It lets that paint job really carry the vehicle's appearance.

Wadmaasi said...

Since this is a painting post, what's a good ratio of paint:water for thinning white? I'm having a hell of a time getting a decent consistency, and my poor Fire Warriors are looking a little worse for it.

Tim said...

@Wadmaasi, when painting white, you should basecoat first with Foundation: Deneb Stone, and then paint on White from Vallejo paints. That is how I get a nice white color on my model. Vallejo paints are much better at providing a consistent white.

Admiral Drax said...

A wonderful job and a true pleasure to behold. Well done you, and thanks for sharing!

Wilco said...

Great looking model! My friend just assembled a couple Vendettas for his IG list and I'll be sure to show him your work for inspiration :)

展姍展姍 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
The GunGrave said...

Love the scheme! Would be great for some Elysian Drop Troops, Taros Campaign

Marc said...

OSH, That kid doesn't deserve it! ;)