Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Blood Angels Update: Baal Predator and Assault Squads


Lately, I've been putting the finishing touches on my Blood Angels army and here are a few of the remaining squads. First off are my Assaults squads. I have three Assault Squads that are 5-marine strong, each mounted in a Rhino with Over Charged Engines. I'm a fan of Jawaballs' blog and I really liked how his Mechanized Assault Army worked so I decided to build a few of these small assault squads so that I have the option to play that way. Mind you, I've also got plenty of Tactical Marines, Terminators and Devastators to keep the army builds varied from game to game.
 
I've painted in squad markings to make sure I can distinguish who belongs to which squad during the game. One of the things I learned while painting this army is how to paint a yellow that pleased me. I didn't want a comic book yellow and I didn't want a bone yellow so I found something in between. This is done by first starting with a solid basecoat of Iyanden Darksun, a wash of Gyphonne Sepia and then a coat of Sunburst Yellow mixed with Iyanden Darksun. I then added bleached bone to the mix for the highlights and finally coated it with a watered down wash of Gyphonne Sepia as a finishing touch.
The Baal Predator was loads of fun. I really wanted to make it stand out with all the battle damage and etched brass markings. This was my first time using etched brass from Forge World and I am not sure if I will continue. The pieces are so finely sculpted that it is almost impossible to paint them so that you can read what is written. 
The Baal Predator is an absolute joy to field on the tabletop. Not only do you get a nice handful of dice to roll when it shoots, but you also get the chance to move as a fast vehicle. In a recent cityfight game, I had this thing race up a street, only to flank Tau force and hit them from the side, negating their cover. I believe the order was "flank 'em and finish 'em!"


The gun sergeant's head is taken from the Space Wolves sprue. I just love mohawks! I used to sport one in my punk rock days as a teenager. A number of my Blood Angels have mohawks and my Death Company squad, which is up to paint next, has a heavy punk rock theme to it. Updates on that to follow as I finish them  up.   Enjoy!

12 comments:

Pete W said...

Flank 'em and finish 'em.

And it so nearly did. I don't like high speed assault cannon wielding things. That new rumoured blood angel flyer could be nasty.

Great models by the way. Is the helmet of the first power fist guy a forge world piece or did you make it?

Unknown said...

Come on OSH, you know you want to start a Blood Angels blog!

SynnerG said...

Very nice work OSH! Do you already have a guide on how to paint/weather the Preds? If not, pleeeease make one? :-) The dirt and the dark streaks look awesome.

Simon said...

Great looking Pred there. I'd love to add a few of those to my Crimson Fist army!

RAZ said...

That Predator is really brilliant.

Mon-keigh Reaper said...

I think that is the champion head off the command squad sprue on the Sgt. w/Power Fist.

The army is really coming along, you just need get all your fun in with them before they become the next OMGWTF army of the month.

I do really hope the skimmer business is BS, I do not know any really fluff to support it. Maybe a Land Speeder Tempest with a single or even TL Assault Cannon might fit.

Tim said...

Yeah I am wondering about the blood angels flier as well. I bet it will be really effing cool but will also cause lots of non-BA players to cry. ah well, I was thinking that I might continue playing with the current codex...there is a unit I really want to make but I'm not sure if you can make it in the new codex, Veteran Assault squad with stormbolters and power weapons all. Nice little unit for Cityfight.

Mon-keigh Reaper said...

You might still be able to keep them. The Exalted are rumored to have storm bolters/jump packs. More then likely you will be able to at least use them with either the storm bolters or the power weapons.

Don't worry about the DA players crying, we have been doing that since we got our 4th codex. Maybe we will get a PDF update like you guys did.

BTW I found another storm bolter terminator armor, stop being lazy, dig your car out and come get it.

Sholto said...

Those Blood Angels look great. The highlighting on their armour is excellent and I love the way you have done the yellow on their helmets. Top class.

I like the Blood Angels for the same reason I like Chaos - playing Tau is fun, but playing Chaos is like playing the opposite of Tau. I get to sate my urge to charge units into combat and roll hideous amounts of dice! The new codex looks tempting...

TrentL said...

Hey I love the yellow on your assault troops...

Would you mind helping a new BA start up player? I want to get that type of yellow but not sure how to accomplish it... any help would be great!!

Tim said...

@TrentL,

Yellow is a tricky color because if you get it wrong it looks cartoony and that is not what I am going for. Sooo what to do?

First paint a basecoat of Iyanden Darksun. Let it dry and wash it with devlan mud. Paint it with a 1:1 iyanden darksun/sunburst yellow mix. Add bleached bone and highlight. then do a second highlight with skull white mixed in. Now, do a final wash with watered down gyphonne sepia and you're done.

TrentL said...

Thanks a bunch I really appreciate it.

Hopefully that will work from a red base