Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Progress on the Dark Eldar

I put about an hour's worth of time into these guys last night and I'm liking them more now. There is still something off, and I think I might try adding true metal gold to models. The shoulderpads, a few random armor plates...not sure. Using a different color on the shoulder pads has really drawn attention to the collars, a feature I really like. So many GW models have these huge shoulder pads and painting them dark makes them seem a little more reasonable.

One thing I do with a lot of my miniatures, especially any plastic multi-pose ones, is painting the heads separate. This time, I've superglued them to a bit of sprue and attached to an old paint pot for a mount. This way I can prime them together and paint them in detail before gluing them to the models. Perhaps getting the heads done will push me forward into liking the color scheme. 



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a really nice white.

greggles said...

These guys look great.

On the metallic...i'd base that color (copper/bronze/gold) based off the skin tones you're planning to use, and possible gun highlights/glowing colors.

Hard to know which would work best without the entire picture available.

I like your technique on the heads. I think I'll loot that for my next models :).

Tim said...

hi Greg, that's a neat pointer on the metallic. I generally don't do basecoats like that, preferring to get a solid basecoat of the main color, and then shade down in the recesses. But your general point is right...just I use another method.

The white is not actually white. I'll post a step-by-step at some point. Basically it is:
Basecoat of Vallejo Deck Tan.
Shade of Vallejo Dark Sea Green.
Highlight with Vallejo Ivory.

greggles said...

Oh, I mean base, as in "pick". Basing your theory, etc.

Thanks for the tips on the white! I have such trouble with my templar shoulders, so it's always great to see how others approach it!