Thursday, July 28, 2016

Salt Chipping some Wasteland Cars...

The horde goes...
This week I was supposed to get in some wasteland weapons shipped to me. Instead the package got shipped to my neighbor. My neighbor accepted the package, put it on his counter, then went on a week long vacation. Because of this, I was not able to do more assembly of my Half-life Warboys. 

I could have started work on more cars. I have about 5-6 more cars to do, before I start on my Gigahorse and War Rig. But then my real car's AC konked out and I had to get it fixed. While I was at my local boot-leg auto-body shop. I saw these cars...




After seeing these wrecks, I really wanted to try out my painting again. I looked online for how to do rust effects. I found a great youtube video on salt chipping and I decided to give it a try. I went to the store and bought some coarse salt. I mixed it with some regular tablesalt and went to work. 

But I am getting ahead of myself. First you have to paint the under body of the car. I used a bunch of different oranges and browns to get a real rusty car body. I used some foam dabbing techniques, Ryza Rust from GW and even some airbrushing at this stage. 
Once that is done, you wet your miniature and sprinkle salt on it. 
Then you start airbrushing your main colors. 

For these cars, I am going with a white, black and orange-rust color scheme. This will all be contrasted by pale-blue skinned Warboyz. Once all that had dried, I washed off the salt to reveal a beautifully chipped paint job. 
I went back with some highlight colors to outline the chips, just to add some depth. 


They aren't done by any means and I have a lot more cars to do, but here you can see where this army is headed. With any luck, you can come by and see me at the NOVA Open. My warparty will be on display somewhere at the event. Not sure where yet. 





5 comments:

Mike Brandt; mvbrandt@gmail said...

That's simply awesome.

Zzzzzz said...

Great work ! I like that you managed to find a positive from your car breaking. Every cloud should have a silver lining !

John Stiening said...

I look forward to seeing it. Whiteness me! (Ok without chrome colored mouth paint it sounds silly)

Tim said...

This might end up being a capital pallet entry rather than an army for gaming. There's an open category I've been thinking of entering them into. Then I'll go play infinity...

Volchek said...

These are simply awesome!

I'm working onsome Post-apoc minis, mainly the sets from Warlord for their Project Z game. Not a fan of the rules but the minis are super. Need some scale vehicles, but I want to Mad Max a few of them. Your models are an inpsiration!

Can you provide a link to where you purchased these vehicles? or maybe provide the toy mfg's name?