Saturday, December 27, 2014

Imperial Knight Titan

The last few months have been crazy for me. Lots of work in my professional and personal life. Finishing up my thesis, trip to Istanbul, Prague and Bratislava, and getting ready for Xmas...which means lots of money matters on the mind. Still, I had some time this month to paint an Imperial Knight for a local client. I love this guy because he gives me free reign on color schemes and so on.
The initial inspiration for this guy was from a piece of art from Brom called Last Crusade. As you can see the main colors of the knight are orange, white and brown. Brom is just so amazing with those  tones. However, you will notice that the "base" has a good deal of blue in it. Nice compliment to all the orange.



And here is the result...









8 comments:

Karitas said...

Stunning.

excellent use of colour and just the right ammount of dirtying down to give it that feeling of veracity, bravo.

Simon said...

Superb. Great scheme and just the right amount of weathering for my taste.

Cobalt Cannon said...

Awesome! Just awesome!

Hi Tim.

That orange with the off-white makes such an incredibly beautiful contrast to the mechanical metallic parts of the titan. That second photo from the top really suggests to me what someone on the ground might say as they see that thing turn his head at them in such a sinister posture, "oh CRAP!"

Did you mask the shoulder to create the flames? Did you use tape or fluid, or silly putty? Also, the orange lion insignia on the other shoulder: is that a decal or did you stencil that on?



Have a very happy new year Tim to you and your family! Be healthy, happy, and content.

Tim said...

Thanks for the compliments, guys. After seeing these photos I found a few places to go back and edit already. Anyway....
Colbalt, I actually didnt do any stenciling on those parts. Its all freehand - the flames, the lion symbols, the knee cap skull, the diamonds on the legs...there's some transfers in some places though.

Colton VIsek said...

Wow, this guy looks fantastic! May I ask what you did for the metallics? They look so great and it'd be nice to know how I could try for something similar.

Anonymous said...

Love the paintjob. You always do such great work. And, I'm just a fan of the orange and off-white combo.

Tim said...

Thanks, Craig. I had lots of fun with this model. It's really quite a change of scale from infinity models, but its amazing how much painting infinity models can improve your skills when you go back to big GW stuff.

Colton,

I'm not certain which metals you're referring to, but most of them are done simply by applying an even basecoat of metal, then washing with Nuln Oil and going back and highlighting it. I played around with more Nuln Oil afterwards to deepen recesses. the gun barrel got a base coat of metal and then wash airbrushed with yellow wash and then nuln oil to get that burnt effect.

Unknown said...

Best color scheme I've evere seen. Can I ask what paint is the grey one?